Saturday, November 17, 2012

"The Incursion" Reaches a Dead End

"The Incursion" Reaches a Dead End
1/13/2012 10:23:23 AM
 
Despite an awful lot of work, I finally had to admit to myself that my novel of parallel universes had reached a dead end. The story idea that I started with got lost in the midst of a lot of interesting research that did not really advance the story.  There was a very elaborate alien culture that kept growing in complexity.  Ultimately, there was too much explanation and not nearly enough plot to hold everything together. A completed prologue to the novel and two chapters are the forlorn results.

The problem boiled down to losing my way and forgetting what my original intent was. I was not writing the story I wanted to write.  It was time to figuratively put a clean sheet of paper into the typewriter and start again.

I thought I would have a hard time resetting the story. I had to come up with an entirely new set of circumstances having nothing to do with aliens or parallel universes. I still had the core of the story intact, however, and that's the characters. When I started writing about them, things started falling into place.

I haven't quite decided where to start, but I can say this - the background story (or the story behind the story) begins in Tecate, Mexico, and with a very special person known only as  #1098/1.  More to follow ...

No comments:

Post a Comment