Saturday, November 17, 2012

"The Hallway" Submitted

"The Hallway" Submitted
10/30/2011 5:57:40 PM
 
I am working on a new story called "The Incursion." It's a parallel universe story with a local setting. I had to do some research on Quantum physics get up to speed on the scientific background behind this age old idea. I rarely write hard science fiction, but I do like to make sure that there is at least some scientific basis underpinning the story. The parallel universe idea comes from an alternate interpretation of quantum mechanics that rejects the more accepted theory that time is linear with a past, a present and a future. Using what has been called the many-worlds interpretation (MWI), it's been extrapolated that there are an infinite number of parallel universes that represent every instance of past, present and future, all existing at the same time. The differing opinion is centered on observations of subatomic particles such as electrons, which are known to have a position and trajectory, but can't be directly observed without the observer becoming a part of what is being observed. And that's about as deep as I want to get on the subject.

From a story perspective, the universe of our Earth comes in contact with a parallel universe. The intersection of the two universes allow sentient beings from another world to transit to Earth.

The story is not that far along. I have a lot of background information to put together that I am still working on. What was interesting is that I had an easier time digging through the science, building a background and history for the aliens, and setting time and place, than I'm having laying out the plot of the story. I reached a point where I looked at the computer screen and my characters stared back at me (figuratively, of course) asking, "Well, what do you want me to do?" I was kind of hoping they'd tell me.

I "think" I've gotten past that point, now; at least my characters haven't talked back to me recently.

I submitted "The Hallway" to Apex Magazine this weekend. I really like the looks of their site and their magazine, and will be buying a couple of issues to see what they are accepting as well as to enjoy the stories. The magazine does not allow simultaneous submissions and it could be weeks (or months) before I might hear back. The fiction editor has quite an impressive resume of work which I somehow managed to miss out on. I hope she has some of her work available via e-book as I think I'd like it.

The story collection is still coming along, but I have to admit I slacked off a bit on Friday night for a very long, exciting and successful evening of World of Warcraft. The report on that can be found at


wildfamilytales.blogspot.com/2011/10/friday-28-oct-f-i-r-e-l-n-d-s.html


Charlie
11/3/2011 8:59:11 AM
New Story
Haven't read those. Sounds interesting, though.
Erik
11/1/2011 10:28:24 AM
New story
I can't wait to read the new story once it is put together! I have always loved the extraterrestrial stuff and the multiple universe travel stuff sounds fun. Have you ever read any of the Dark Materials trilogy from Philip Pullman? They are The Golden Compass, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spy Glass. They revolve around multiple universes, etc and are all great.

No comments:

Post a Comment