Saturday, November 17, 2012

Starting the Journey

Starting the Journey
10/11/2011 1:29:01 PM
 
Thanks for the comments in the Guestbook!

I've had several guesses as to just what a Jaded Walker is - that funny looking image on the Home page that anyone visiting the site can't miss.

The Jaded Walker is my Familiar. When I was actively writing fiction, I had two companions that sat on back of my desk. One was a stone gargoyle, and the other was a ... doll, I guess I'd have to call it. It was about fourteen inches tall and was made of wood, corn husks, straw, acorns, and a small cornucopia of other things. The Jaded Walker mostly resembles that doll, which I called my forest troll. The Jaded Walker acquired a bat at some point in it's life, and it's purpose was (and is) to encourage, goad, and sometimes threaten to make sure I was writing.

This is a journey for me, one I want to document. I love writing ... but I got lost along the way. It's a stretch yet to call myself  "a writer." That's what this journey is about - from being someone who writes, to being a writer. I feel like I'm traveling through a forest, unsure of my direction, but with a few markers from my past to help guide me along. I've had a glimpse of what the road ahead looks like, but there are many pitfalls still to navigate.

This blog will be mostly about me and what I write. I feel a little queasy about that, as I am a very private person, and the last thing I want is to talk about myself. Writing is all about sharing, though,  and part of the reason for not just writing this blog, but sharing it, is to help me open up more. While I will be doing this even if I am it's only reader, I am hopeful that friends, family, and interested future friends will find something to interest them here, and to share your own thoughts, offer encouragement and criticism, or just visit now and then.

The primary goal I seek probably won't surprise anyone - writing a novel. I have the beginnings already, but there are a lot of steps between now and that ultimate goal - such as what to do with my earlier work.

No comments:

Post a Comment