Saturday, November 17, 2012

A New Story

A New Story
10/21/2011 1:15:12 PM
 
I completed a new story this week. I planned for the story to be the last story in the collection, but I'm having second thoughts about that. Not because I don't like it, but because I like it quite a lot. The collection basically has a publisher already, and I have enough stories for it. I think I'll test the market with the new story and see what kind of feedback I get back.

The working title of the story was "The Hallway." When I had trouble with the original draft of the story, however, the changes were significant enough that I came up with an alternate title as well, "Seeds." I liked the new title, but my proof reader in chief commented that I shouldn't give too much away. That made a lot of sense. I played around with some other possible titles, but came back to the original. "The Hallway" it remains.

I have a business card now. That was more work than I wanted to spend on it, but Microsoft Word is a program I love to hate. With the help of a free Avery addon I was able to make a pretty nice business card, but no matter how well calibrated the printer or how much I tweaked the design, Word refused to print it out correctly.

I went to the CNET site (a good place to look for free software) to find and download a business card design program, and gave the Avery DesignPro 5.4 a try. It was free, it was simple, it didn't require MS Word, and it did what I wanted it to do. Best of all, it printed out the cards perfectly. I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment