Tuesday, September 17, 2013

The La Jolla Writer's Conference Package

The La Jolla Writer's Conference Package

I received my conference package by email on 14 September for the 13th annual La Jolla Writer's Conference. The conference is at the Paradise Point Resort. The resort is actually in San Diego on Mission Bay near Seaworld, not La Jolla. That was good news as that will cut my driving time by a lot.

Three New York Times best selling authors lead the billing: Christopher Reich, Lisa Jackson, and Dale Brown. I checked on my Private Read & Critique (PR&C) submission. My request to see Jill Marr, a publisher of both fiction and non-fiction, was approved, but my submission package hasn't reached her yet. I had to make a decision on whether to provide a package for the novel, "The Majik of Spark." It really wasn't ready, though, with the changes I'm still making, so I did not submit it. Instead, I submitted a recently completed short story.

In addition to the formal PR&C, I also plan to get some time with adventure fantasy author Eldon Thompson to talk about "Majik." I'm signing up for a couple of his classes. He has a published trilogy that I'm just getting started on reading. I will also have a PR&C package about "Majik" should he, or anyone else, be interested.

The "official" welcome package is not yet official. They recommend having a hard copy (or download to your device of preference) for the conference, but don't recommend printing it until just before the conference since there will likely still be changes between now and opening. Classes come in two varieties - lectures, which run about fifty minutes, and workshops, which are scheduled for 110 minutes. For almost all of the lectures and workshops there is no pre-registration requirement - just pick what you want and attend. There are three classes that require pre-registration in person on the morning the conference. Those classes go deeper into their subject than other classes. The three are: The 7-Minute Pitch, "American Idol" Pitch Session, and an Advanced Read and Critique specifically for thriller, mystery, and suspense writers.

I have to admit that I don't have a good social media strategy, nor do I use that medium very well. This conference is a nice test for me, as I will try to engage in both Facebook and Twitter during the conference. My rather stodgy website is getting an upgrade, too, with a new bio and some other changes if I can unravel a few issues with Wordpress, the website software I'm trying out. 

More to follow as I get closer to the conference opening.

There are new posts available in the Wild Family Adventures Blog:

Wild Family Adventures

No comments:

Post a Comment