Monday, January 13, 2014

The Last Chapter Three

The Last Chapter Three

First of all, I want to thank all those who listened to my long reading of the first three chapters of "The Majik of Spark" at the writer's group meeting on January 2nd. I truly appreciate the encouragement and comments.  I'm a bit squeamish at doing readings, but it was a lot of fun, thanks to all of you.

Since then I have spent considerable time on an extension to the third chapter, which I felt, in its current state, left too many things hanging. I didn't want that to complicate later chapters. I almost decided to let it stay undone while I worked on some big picture things, but since the chapter was already two-thirds completed, I ultimately decided to get it finished now. It took me three tries before I was finally satisfied. I will give a hint: Patient readers of my earlier version of the novel get closer to finding out what happens with Kalydice's locks. I also begin what I labeled the "Artifact thread" that turns up periodically throughout the story.

It may be awhile before I pen the next chapter. I plan to flesh out my chapter synopses into more detail so that the pieces interlock better. I hope that will reduce the amount of re-writing I need to do, which will ultimately speed up the work. That's not to say that things won't change. New ideas can always crop up. My characters always seem to have something to say about their role as well.

I'll be sending out Chapter Three for critique shortly.

1 comment:

  1. It was fun listening, and motivating! I'll be reading what you've done with chapter three as soon as I can transfer it to my flash drive (my Internet is kaput at home, so I have to resort to public computers to download files. Oh, the horror...).

    ReplyDelete