Thursday, May 2, 2013

The May Events

The May Events

The group leader of Go, Be, Write! (GBW), Sally, definitely believes in her "tough love" approach. She admitted early on that she was dealing with some deadlines and could not be as active as she liked until those deadlines were met. Now that she has freed up some time she has done an amazing job of getting the word out to members about a whole list of activities for writers that are coming up in the month of May alone.

I was a little overwhelmed by the sudden influx of opportunities and needed to take some time to get them sorted out into what I really wanted to attend and what I could attend if I wanted to travel - as far as Los Angeles, for example. I am also in the throes of trying to pin down the final chapter of my novel, which is like having a kid on a roller coaster who doesn't want to ever get off.

The one event I have signed up for is called the "Thursday Night First Paragraph Slam." It's being held at a local bookstore on May 23rd. About ten members have signed up for it so far. In addition to getting know other writers in the group, we have the opportunity to read the first paragraph of one of our works. I will be reading the first paragraph of my almost finished novel, The Majik of Spark. We will all vote on who wrote the best paragraph and the winner will get a prize.

I've also decided to go to the anniversary of a local bookstore called the Mysterious Galaxy. That will be an all day affair (depending how long I decide to stay) with a list of published authors available to talk to and meet with. That is on May 11th, but I won't get to meet Sally there, as she has a competing meeting that day up in the LA area. I think I'll keep things at just those two for now.

Having announced all those upcoming events, Sally put the word out that she isn't happy with the turn out so far. I like her approach. Paraphrasing her, she said that if you are not writing you should be attending these events and getting better at your craft. If writing is what is keeping you from attending, then you should at least come to the paragraph slam event so you can show off your work.

When I sent out Chapter 12 of the novel to my writing buddies, I suggested that it was time to put "The End" on the novel. It's the first book of a proposed trilogy, and I've discovered that ending "Book One, The Majik of Spark" is a significant challenge for me. While still thinking about how to close things out properly, I wrote two-thirds of Chapter 13. It's not that I don't want to end the book. I am actually anxious to start Book Two, for which I already have a lot of background prepared.

So, what's my problem? Honestly, I think I'm trying to make a perfect ending, one that will satisfy readers, set up the next book, and leave readers in enough suspense to want to read that next book. Here's the conundrum I have to consider. As the book stands, I can end it with a kiss, both figuratively and in reality. I kind of like that. The reader knows where things stand with their group of adventurers, and know that their next challenge awaits them.

What I haven't done a good enough job of, though, I think, is keeping the reader informed of the broader picture. I have armies on the move, and a major falling out of the two most powerful players. My first thought is that during my first full edit of the first draft I would insert more insight into that broader picture, so that the book could end where it currently sits.

Another option that I am considering, is to get the reader up to speed on all the other moving pieces in an epilogue that would become the bridge to the second book. I like that idea, because I like writing prologues and epilogues. I'm just not sure that is the right path, though.

The third option is to continue for another 1-3 chapters, whatever it would take to point out all those broader actions, and then wrap things up that way. Too much more advancement of the story in the first book will almost certainly create tangles with the approach I've laid out for the second book. 

I believe my approach is going to be to set a tentative end at the completed Chapter 12. I will do my first full edit, and see if that clears up any remaining reservations I have. If I'm happy with the ending, then I can decide whether an epilogue is appropriate, or if I should just write a teaser about what to look forward in the next book. I know my writing buddies have to be wondering what "broader actions" I'm talking about that they still don't know about after 12 chapters. It reminds me of one of the writing tips Kurt Vonnegut applies to his work, which is to always tell the reader everything. Don't stick "gotchas" into the story, or throw new things in there without preparing the reader for them. I do think I've violated that to some extent that has to be fixed.

Maybe I'll be inspired by the events I am going to and I'll come up with an even better idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment