Sunday, April 14, 2013

The Message Board

The Message Board

I have to admit that I am excited, and a little impatient. It's been four days since about a dozen of us new members of Go, Be, Write! were welcomed into the writer's group. The most recently held meeting of the group was on March 6th, more than a month ago. There has been no word on what future meetings or activities are being scheduled.

I wanted to make some kind of contact, if only to express my excitement in joining the group. The website has a message board. There was only one entry, dated 8 Jan, 2013, that asked about locations for future meetings. There was one reply, in a group with over 140 members.

So I became the second person in the group to post on the message board. I wrote this:

Hi,

My name is Charlie and I'm a writer. I've had this affliction in varying degrees most of my life. Now I believe it has become a permanent condition.

Thank you, Sally, for accepting me into Go, Be, Write!  I am looking forward to meeting and working with the great folks here. I'm here to learn and to contribute in any way I can.

I'm sure there are many writers here that are far more experienced than I am, so I don't know how much help I can be.

One project I did learn a lot from, however, was a compilation of my previously published short stories that I released as an e-book. There are a lot of steps required to get a project into e-book format, and some of it is quite technical. If anyone is interested I would be happy to share my experience in getting it published.

I'm excited to be here, as I'm sure all of the new members are!

PS - Hope you don't mind my starting this discussion thread.

Charlie


I feel a little bit naughty and presumptuous, being such a new member. I've never been in a writer's group before. Maybe I'm going about this all wrong. But I'm here because I want to learn more about my craft and how to improve it. I'll happily make my mistakes and learn from them here, so that I won't make them when it really counts. 

I don't really know what to expect from my post, but I hope to get a few replies.

No comments:

Post a Comment